The Best Christmas Movie


Everyone has their favourite Holiday movie. For a lot of people it's one of the classics like A Christmas Carol or Miracle on 34th St, for others it is more recent pictures like Love Actually or Elf. Our family for example always has to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Every. Single. Year. 

I love it, I love sitting there in the family room, everyone splayed out in different seats and laughing thirty seconds before the joke actually happens. Or whispering squirrel to the dog just before Clark finds one in the tree. Or how everyone looks at me Every Time that damn dog yacks up a bone under the table to see if I'm gagging (I usually am). It's a great family tradition, one that I wouldn't change ever, but National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is not my favourite Christmas video. 

That title goes directly to The Muppets Family Christmas.

 Made in 1987, this movie has everything I love. Classic Muppet humour, crossovers and more broken fourth walls than you can shake a stick at. The tragic thing is that almost no one has heard of it, or have completely forgotten about it. When I tell people my favourite holiday special, people always think I'm talking about the Muppets Christmas Carol, or the Muppets Christmas Special with Whoopie Goldberg.  While I have nothing against Whoopie, (she is the only person in the universe who can not have eyebrows and not look like a human/lizard hybrid) it's not the right movie.

The Muppets Family Christmas starts with the the whole Muppet gang heading up to Fozzie Bear's mothers house to surprise her for christmas. 


 They didn't call ahead, so they had no idea that Mrs Bear had been planning to rent her house out while she went to Malibu for the holiday season. And the person she was renting to was none other that Doc and his dog Sprocket (Fraggle Rock!!!). Everyone settles in, there's lots of singing and gags and throwbacks. And then carollers come singing, and its the entire muppet cast of Sesame Street!


 Fozzie makes a new BFF with a snowman, Muppet Babies make a cameo and the Swedish Chef has a frickin heart attack when he sees Big Bird.



And when Kermit and his nephew Robin go exploring in the basement they find Fraggles!



 


The whole night ends with a long medley of Christmas Carols sung by every Muppet ever, and Jim Henson cleans all the dishes in the kitchen. It doesn't get any better for me! It's on Youtube here if you would like to watch it! And as always, watch out for the icy patch!

Comments

  1. You forgot to mention my favorite joke about small talk :p

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

Crossroads

Warming up