A Toast to Roast and Shakespeare!

Wednesday marked the birthday of my friend Christine, and to celebrate I offered to host a little dinner party for her. "I'll make whatever you want for dinner and dessert!" I said, confident that whatever she asked for I could manage even if I hadn't made it before. I even offered suggestions, like lasagna, chicken parmesan, Quebecois chicken.... Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding! (I'd never made a roast beef before but it was a staple of Sunday dinners growing up and I thought it couldn't be terribly hard)

So Christine chose roast beef, and I went to my mothers cook book to get the recipe... only it isn't in there! Well, alright, I'm sure I can find one online that will suit my purpose. And it was in this research that I discovered that roast beef takes time to cook. Like.... hours. Crap. Because Christines birthday was a Wednesday, and I work until 4:30, I told her to be there around 6. I need to find a way to cook a roast for an hour and a half tops, otherwise we will be eating a REALLY late dinner on a weeknight. Eventually, after asking coworkers and meat lovers for advice, I settled on a 2 pound outer cut (?) piece of cow and spend Tuesday night getting everything ready.

On Wednesday all my fears of people getting there before I was all set up were unfounded, as there was an enormous traffic jam that meant my guests didn't arrive until 7:15. Because of the delay, We didn't eat dinner until 8:30, but no one seemed to mind. Besides, we had lots of appitizers, and of course we had to do birthday presents. Dinner came out perfectly, and all at the same time thanks to the help of my sous chef Marni!!!



Perfectly done!!


Roast beef with sides of roasted potatos, broccoli, green beans, stuffed peppers,and yorkshire puddings

 Happy Birthday!!!!




Comments

  1. Looks like an amazing birthday celebration for my "girlfriend" Happy Birthday Christine xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

Cottage Trip 2015