Whats Art?

I’ve mentioned on this blog before the topic of street art, and how my opinion of it differs from that of my Dads. Dad believes that any graffiti is bad, because its breaking the law, and how it makes a neighborhood look. I maintain that not all street art is bad, and that even in the case where it is breaking the law it Is still art. I’m not saying that its right, but its still art. And in some cases it can be beautiful, or inspiring. Most of the time it makes me think about what I’m looking at. And today I found out that in the states a museum is hosting the first ever exhibit of street art.

“Today, we witnessed history being made. As the very first major U.S. museum exhibition of graffiti and street art, MOCA presented the media preview of Art in the Streets, an epic visual feast you must experience for yourself! Tracing the development of graffiti and street art from the '70s to where it is today, MOCA pulled out all the stops - educating us on the rich history, entertaining us with their "shows within a show" (live skateboarding, a re-creation of an urban street, etc) and inspiring us to find the artist within ourselves.

Below I’ve posted some of my favorite pieces from the show,





Comments

  1. For anyone, no matter how talented, to deface a private or public piece of property is a crime. Plain and simple. You can dress it up all you want by calling them "urban artists" in reality they are petty criminals who make our shared landscape a sadder,dirtier place. No different than someone littering or defecating in public.

    Where's the line? A wall in a back lane? A storefront door or window? The side of your newly bought car? The Henry Moore sculpture at Nathan Phillips Square?

    All graffiti is bad graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You apologists for criminals make me so mad!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

Crossroads

Warming up