DONE DONE DONE

Last winter, when we had finished all of our classes at college, my classmates and I celebrated being DONE. Not just done classes for the year, but hopefully for a long time. In our program, in the final year, we had one semester of classes, more of a prep for the workplace rather than conventional classes, and then the second semester we were to find placement at a design firm. 14 weeks as an unpaid intern, gaining experience and contacts. But first, we had to find our placements. So though we were done, we were not DONE DONE.

Finding a design firm to take on free labor sounds easy, but when you take into account that the studio would have to give up space to put me, time to train me, and patience to guide around a newbie, add in the fact that the economy was out of control…. Needless to say it was very hard.

Eventually I found a placement, and along with my friends, we celebrated being DONE DONE! We had placement, the grades, now all we needed was to survive in our internships for 14 weeks and we were qualified to graduate!

Now, just over three months later, it’s a Monday, and I am not downtown, dressed up in fancy pants and shirts, sitting at my desk in the studio. I am DONE DONE DONE.

Say it out loud, and ironically, it sounds a little ominous.

So we are done. Completely, absolutely, incontrovertibly done.

It’s a little hard to wrap my mind around.


Thankfully, I’ve taken on some side jobs to keep me busy, so I’m not just sitting around doing nothing. A website to design, a resume to re-invent… but then I remember that the money I get for these jobs does not have to be saved away so I can pay for next years tuition… wow.

Just. Wow.

Ask any post graduate, they will tell you that weeks go by and they still sit there thinking “There is something I need to be doing. A project to hand in tomorrow, a report to write up” and then you remember… you are done!

It’s a Crazy feeling.

Comments

  1. Congratulations!!
    I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of you.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of adults!

    There are even more bills then before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

Cottage Trip 2015