Full House

Another busy week followed by another interesting weekend. The week was pretty much just waiting for news about granddad, and trying to keep any and all pressure off mom and dad by any means necessary. On Thursday Dan and I went to go see Granddad in the hospital and I was relieved to see him looking at least a little better. He showed us some of the exercises he was supposed to do with his hand (which we later found out were wrong…) and I gave him a raspberry for good measure before leaving to go for dinner.

Friday night Granddad was supposed to come home so after grabbing dinner with marni we went back to the house to walk to dog when mom and dad came home with no granddad. Apparently the nurses didn’t want to do the paper work that night so he had to stay overnight again. Its also at this point that I found out that Papa had fallen in his house and suffered some serious bruising to his face. More worries to which there are no actions to follow. I went upstairs and cleaned my room so I felt like I could do something.

Saturday morning I woke when Marley got lonely and opened the very closed door and woke me up. Mom and Dad were already long gone so I decided to make some pancakes before finishing my cleaning spurt I had started the night before. I had just eaten my pancakes and put away my dishes when the front door opens and there’s my Granddad making his way up the walkway with a cane. Weirdest thing ever. But as soon as he’s in the house he grabs his usual seat at the table and I have a small stack of pancakes ready for him in minutes followed by the first real cup of coffee he’s had in a week. And its still granddad. Sitting there with his arms on the table, Marley practically crawling into his lap, a half cup of coffee sitting in front of him and I can forget the stroke and the cane. He’s just stopped in for a cup of coffee before he goes and hits the road. But then you see how tired he looks, and that front pocket which usually stands in a rigid rectangle is sagging. I’d seen the box of nicoderm on the small table in the hall, and I’m trying not to get my hopes up. The boys wake up soon after and the pancake batter is used up completely. After that everyone is moving around carefully, trying to make sure Granddad is ok and figure out who should be where. Someone is always with Granddad, either watching TV or playing a card game.

I left for an hour or so to visit Dan and meet his 3 month old nephew David who is CUTE AS A BUTTON.

I came home to find that Matthew had come home from work with an unsettled stomach, Christian wasn’t working and Tom and Marek had come with a full meal cooking in the oven. Again its so easy to forget, everyone is joking around and eating homemade guacamole, Granddad has a steamwhistle in his hand. Dinner was amazing and I told my mom she needed to woo marek from Tom so he could live with us.

At eight I brought out candles and put out all the lights in the house except for the one in the kitchen. Matt gave the standard “You’re causing more pollution with candles than electricity” comment he give each year. Marni Aparna and Lynn show up in time for earth hour where we went into the basement were I lit a candle and we sat around catching up and eating fruit and chocolate maringues lynn had brought. Everyone left around 10:30, and the rest of us made our way to bed shortly after. After such a stress filled week, it was a beautiful slice of our kind of normality.


*photo credit goes to Somewhat Jim

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

DONE DONE DONE

Whats Art?