I MISSED IT!!!!

A thousand curses!!! I missed international Pillow Fight Day!!!!

What is International Pillow Fight Day you ask!? Well I didn’t know either a few months ago. I discovered this event through a school project. Determined to find a real Toronto event to make a poster for, and for an interesting subject, I started searching festivals like the winter solstice in Kensington Market or Subway Man Hunting. This search ultimately led me to a video of the IPF.

Wikipedia Describes the IPF as such:

A pillow fight flash mob is a social phenomenon of flash mobbing and shares many characteristics of a culture jam. The flash mob version of massive pillow fights is distinguished by the fact that nearly all of the promotion is Internet-based. These events occur around the world, some taking the name Pillow Fight Club, a reference to Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk in which anyone could join and fight as long as they fought by the rules. Both the London and Vancouver Pillow Fight Club's rules reflect that described in the book and feature film.

The trend owes much to uses of modern communications technologies, including decentralised personal networking, known as smartmobbing. Word of the events spreads primarily via digital means, usually on the internet via email, chat rooms and text messaging which result in seemingly spontaneous mass gatherings. Pillows are sometimes hidden and at the exact pre-arranged time or the sound of a whistle, the pillow fighters pull out their pillows and commence pillow fighting. The pillow fights can last from a few minutes to several hours.

The largest pillow fight flash mob was the Worldwide Pillow Fight Day (or International Pillow Fight Day) that took place on March 22, 2008 (the third saturday). Over 25 cities around the globe participated in the first "international flash mob", which was also the world's largest flash mob to date. According to The Wall Street Journal, over 5,000 participated in New York City alone. Participating cities included Basel, Beirut, Boston, Budapest, Chicago, Copenhagen, Dublin, Houston, Innsbruck, London, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Monterrey, New York City, Paris, Pécs, Philadelphia, Shanghai, San Francisco, Stockholm, Sydney, Vancouver, Washington, D.C., and Zurich.



Needless to say, I was ecstatic and NEEDED to go to the next one. Of course I made a poster for the event for my school project, (and it remains as one of my better projects in my portfolio) and even added to the project by designing pillow case for the event. (On it is the logo I made and the phrase “If you can read this, its to late to duck.”)

UNFORTUNETLY… Months after the project, the event fled from my already scatter-brained head, and I completely forgot about it until this morning when I checked MUTE Photography and discovered the event had passed by me! Imagine my upset!

Moral of the story: USE the agenda your mother gave you for Christmas for more than dentist appointments and other inane things and put something important in it! The opening night for Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen for example!


For Pics, Please see mute at http://mute.rigent.com/index.php?ladat=2009-03-25

Comments

  1. It's on April 4th this year!!! You can still make it silly :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

Cottage Trip 2015