Long Weekend

Despite the fact that this is a post about the weekend, it actually starts on Thursday night, otherwise known as St. Patricks Day. No I didn’t go out drinking, I can’t imagine green beer is any less revolting than regular beer… But I did go out with friends for coffee and to share our stories of the week and discuss our plans for the weekend. It was at this point that I got the call from my mom saying not to panic, but that she was taking my Granddad to the hospital. I of course was if not panicked, than at least really really upset, as an 82 year old visiting the hospital at 10 at night can never be good. Thankfully my friends were amazing and kept my distracted until I went home and set up camp on the couch, determined to wake up the moment my parents got home. Only problem is that they never did. They were in the waiting room at the hospital all night and didn’t see a doctor until 6am.

Feeling gross and strung out, I then went to work in a daze jumping any time my cell made a noise. Then I got the text from my dad (my moms cell had died in the early hours of the morning) saying that Granddad had suffered a small stroke and was going to be spending the weekend at the hospital. Talking to my mom later on clarified that there was no paralisis, and that Granddad was only suffering from dizzyiness and double vision when he stood up, which dispelled all the pictures in my head of my granddad paralyzed on one size trapped in a wheelchair. After work I drove out to the hospital to give granddad a bottle of Luck my friend Christine had made for me. I felt a hundred times better after seeing him with my own eyes.

On Saturday I stayed home most of the day while mom went to the hospital and dad went to visit papa. It wasn’t until the afternoon that I went to go visit Granddad again where he completely decimated me at connect four. Note to self, just cause Granddad looks like a weak old man in the hospital does not mean that he wont kick your ass at any card or board game known to mankind.

On Sunday I was picked up by Aparna and after meeting up with Marni and Christine we took the train to Toronto to see the Tim Burton Exhibit. We had lunch at my favorite restaurant A La Crepe before going through the exhibit and studying each piece in its entirety. I can say with absolute certainty that Tim Burton is Fundamentally Screwed Up. It was really cool seeing the story boards for the Corpse Bride and the Character Development pages from his sketchbooks for Nightmare Before Christmas. The suit Jonny Depp wore in Edwards Siccorhands was there as was Michelle Phiephers Catwomen suit. But I think the piece that will be most remembered is this one from his school days.



Never Shoot A Constipated Poodle.

After the show we took the train home and Christine came over to help me bake cupcakes for my coworkers birthday on Monday. Or rather, that was the excuse. I distracted her with Scott Pilgram Vs The World, and she was unavailable for the rest of the night. Mom and Dad came home from the hospital around 8 and after Christine left I went upstairs to talk to Dan for a while trading weekend stories. Its Monday now and my Granddad should be meeting with a Doctor who can go over his MRI with him. Hopefully we will know more by tonight…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

DONE DONE DONE

Whats Art?