Catching up

Again I find myself really behind on updating. I blame the weekends completely. I always think of them as this beacon of free time, but as soon as I’m in one, I’m sucked into a vortex of ‘things to do’ which usually include a) sleep in at least once, b)spend some time outside c)do whatever activity that was planned for that weekend with friends or boyfriend ie movies, conventions…

In the end, I’m so busy doing things I don’t have time to write about the things I’m doing!

The weekend before last was beautiful, or at least Saturday was, which was all that mattered. First thing in the morning I picked up Marni and we took my Granddad out for lunch at Wild Wings. Granddad had never been there before, and it took a while to choose from the 80 different kinds of wings they had, but we all had a great time.





After that we dropped Granddad off at home and met Lynn at the subway station. The three of us then met up with Michelle and Kate at Nathan Phillips Square and were ready to join the giant Toronto Scavenger Hunt! Organized by the people at Improv Toronto, we were given a list of 63 things to bring back, to take a picture of, and get information on. And we only had 2 hours. With Christine acting as our information getter (as she could not come out on Saturdays due to religions) we aced the information section, missing only one answer. We split into two teams, and in the end managed to get 43 out of 63. We didn’t win, but we had a great time, and already we are making plans for next year.

Lookin sharp there Marni....

On Wednesday I met up with friends and Dan at the Jersey giant for dinner and pool. I discovered that while I can do reasonably well at pool on my iPod touch app, I SUCK in real life.

On Thursday I went out for dinner with Matt and my parents at Mount Everest for Indian food, while my family helped me deal with the fact that I had just left my cell phone on the train. (a phone I have yet to recover…) Friday was spent with Marni helping her design jewelry to go with two of her amazing costumes. Dan was camping with the scouts all weekend, so I spent most of Saturday with Marni, practicing in the batting cages and tossing a ball around (she hit me in the FACE) Saturday night, dateless as I was, I went out and picked up a pizza and a movie, and went over to hang with Granddad who after going to a Charlie Pride concert was very sentimental.

MOTHER DAY! I had been waiting to give this gift to my mom since FOREVER! Here is the short story. When mom was a teenager, her parents brought her back a kimono from Japan to use as a house coat, and since then it has been her favorite housecoat of ALL TIME. As in, 30 years later, its still used daily, and it really looks it. The fabric is see through in some areas, and there are holes. Holes so big, a five year old could crawl through. Seriously, its that bad. But mom loves this coat. Its just light enough that she never gets hot in it, and is big and airy. Its actually not a kimono at all, its technically a called a Happy Coat (to which mom replies, That’s why I’m so happy in it!) We’ve given her other house coats, but none are as loved as the original. So with that in mind, I waited for mom to leave the house for a while, laid the old coat on the table and using tissue paper taped together, I traced the seams and basically reverse engineered it. Four meters of fabric, one spool of thread and 6 hours of sewing and piecing it together, I made a test house coat. So on mothers day, I presented my mom with the test coat, with the explanation, and a promise to take her to fabric land so she could pick out her fabric, and I would make her a brand new house coat identical to the original.

She was very pleased!

We also took mom to the yorkdale mall for lunch and a bit of shopping with Granddad before meeting Auntie Shelly, Uncle Doug and Adam at Paul Wongs for dinner.

On Monday I started Baseball with Marni and Christine, and though all three of us were nervous, we actually did really well! Each of us hit the ball when up to bat, and I managed to get someone out!

Wednesday I continued my baseball education by taking Dan to a Jays vs Red Sox game for his birthday. Other than the one instance where I accidentally cheered for the other team, we had a really good time!

And now We're all caught up!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Out of the frying pan....

Crossroads

Warming up